Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
John Broening in the Denver Post. Mild (if you wish), low fat, nice change from raw cabbage with mayo or vinegar and oil. Add it as a garnish to soups, tacos, and enchiladas, or eat it as a side. Don't use softer cabbages, it's best made with sturdy white cabbage. Add some black beans to make a vegan taco filling. This salad will NOT keep well more than a couple of hours.
- 6 cups thinly sliced white cabbage
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ground toasted cumin
- 1 teaspoon crumbled dried chili
- hot sauce
- 1 cup cooked black beans, rinsed
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Allow the mixture to sit, refrigerated, for at least 20 minutes and no more than 3 hours.