Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This would make a great snack when you are out hiking in the woods or when you need an energy boost at work. You could also give it as a food gift for the holidays in a paper bag that you may want to personally decorate.
- 3 cups round honey-nut flavor toasted oat cereal
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup sliced almonds or 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 cup dried apple, finely chopped
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Farenheit.
- Combine all ingredients except condensed milk in a large bowl.
- Pour the milk over the mixture, stirring until well coated.
- Spread the mix out on a shallow baking pan and bake 45-50 minutes or until the mix is golden brown and has begun drying, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and transfer the mix onto aluminum foil to cool.
- Break the mix up into pieces and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
This was good, more like a granola.
This recipe is very tasty although, the final result is closer to granola than trail mix. I did make several changes seen what I had on hand: I used 3 cups plain Cheerios, 1 cup sunflower seeds, 1 cup unsweetened coconut, 1 cup raisins, 1 cup sesame seeds, 1 cup wheat bran, 1 cup cranberry/almond cereal (similar to Special K) and 1/4 cup almonds. I used Recipe #73863 for the condensed milk and I added 1 generous teaspoon of ground cardamom. The 45-50 minutes baking time was much too long... After 10 minutes it was already starting to brown, after 20 minutes, I decided to lower the oven temperature to 250F, and I let it cook another 10 minutes, after which removed the pan from the oven. So, I had 30 minutes total baking time. But the result is delicious, crunchy, and healthy - that's what counts right? Thanks TiaGem