Recipe by peachez
My sweeties enjoy these treats. We have a Greenwing Macaw and a Congo African Grey. Instead of using crushed egg shells, go to the beach, get some seashells, rinse and dry them well. Place in a freezer baggie, crush them finely with a hammer. You can make all veggies, all fruit, all nut or any combinations of each, whatever your Parrots love. Prep time doesn't include 4 hour freeze time, 1 hour cool time for baking pan method nor 20 minutes to wrap. Serving size depends on cut of bars or muffin method. Muffin method will make many more.
- 2 boxes Jiffy cornbread mix, prepared as directed (or your favourite cornbread recipe)
any mix or combination of
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup fresh, frozen or leftover vegetables (no salted veggies - NO !... onions, tomatoes, avocados)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup fresh fruit or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup frozen fruit, chopped (ie apples, oranges, bananas, pineapple, cherries, seedless grapes, coconut, dates, figs, raisins, cr) or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup canned fruit cocktail, drained and rinsed well,paper towel dry
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup raw unsalted peanuts or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup pistachios, shelled and chopped
- 1 hardboiled egg, chopped,finely crush the egg shell and add to mixture
- 1⁄2 cup cooked pasta
- 1⁄4 cup low salt cheese or 1⁄4 cup no salt cheese, chopped,grated or shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare cornbread as directed.
- Mix into the batter any combinations/ amounts listed or your Parrots favourites Using paper lined mini muffins tins or a greased 13 x 9 baking pan.
- Spoon in muffins tins/ pour batter into pan.
- Bake 10- 25 minutes- depending on pan method used, until golden.
- Cool on wire racks.
- *Bakingpan- cut into small bars and remove from pan.
- On 2 baking sheets, place cooled bars or muffin cups in the freezer for 4 hours or until frozen.
- Wrap each bar in freezer wrap or foil, place frozen bars or toss muffin cups into plastic freezer bags.
- Remove and defrost any treat to be given.