Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
These delicious cookies are a great way to use the egg whites that are left over from preparing kulich.
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dates
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spread the slivered almonds on a baking sheet and toast until lightly colored, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer in a large bowl until foamy. Gradually add the sugar, continuing to beat until the whites are stiff and shiny, about 10 minutes.
- Gently but thoroughly, fold in the toasted and the ground almonds and the dates.
- Drop the meringues by tablespoonsful on an ungreased large baking sheet, spacing 1 inch apart. Bake until the cookies are golden and dry, about 25 to 30 minutes.
My 8yo daughter and I made these for a Russian project at her school. They were delicious! Very nutty and slightly sweet. They were very easy to make too. For the ground almonds I ground 1 cup sliced almonds with 1 Tbsp. flour in my food processor. Worked perfectly!