Recipe by VKuuipo Bridges
Military Commissary Clipping
Top Review by Mustang Sally 54269
Absolutely LOVED this lasagna. There are tons of lasagna recipes on this site... what sets this one apart is the Mediterranean twist with the addition of feta & roasted red peppers. To cut some fat calories I reduced the cheeses & noodles abit. I didn't have quite enough spinach so I sub'd some red swiss chard. Great flavours and nice balance of layers, thanks for sharing.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, large diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 (19 7/8 ounce) package Italian sausages (casings removed) or 1 (19 7/8 ounce) packageall natural italian ground sausage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (32 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 1 lb cooked lasagna noodles
- 2 (26 ounce) jars pasta sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Add oil to pan on medium heat, add onion and garlic.
- Sweat onion mixture until onions are translucent, do not brown.
- Remove and cool.
- Brown ground beef and sausage, drain and reserve.
- In a mixing bowl add ricotta, feta and 3 cups of mozzarella and 1 cup Parmesan cheese, eggs, oregano, thyme and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Mix spinach, sweated onion, roasted peppers and basil into a bowl.
- In a 9x13 pan place 4 noodles overlapping edges and 1 1/4 cup pasta sauce.
- Add 1 cup of beef and Italian mixture over top.
- Next, add 2 cups of cheese mix and 1 cup of spinach, top with noodles then repeat until ingredients are all used.
- Top lasagna with reserved mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hr or until heated thorough.