Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a recipe of our late mayor of Pittsburgh, Pa. The recipe was posted in the Pittsburgh foods newsletter.
- 3 lbs ricotta cheese
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- seasoned bread crumbs (for dredging)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Combine the first six ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well; chill for at least 4 hours.
- Shape into 1" balls; roll in the additional bread crumbs.
- Refrigerate at least another 1/2 hr.before cooking.
- In a large skillet, saute the cheese balls over medium heat in vegetable oil until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve.