Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
May wine, of German origin, is Maibowle (May-bowl) made with Rhine wine or other light, dry, white wines, Sweet woodruff is thought of as a tonic, with significant diuretic and anti-inflammatory effects. Its coumarin and flavonoid constituents make sweet woodruff helpful for varicose veins. Sweet woodruff has been used as an antispasmodic, and it is given to children and adults for insomnia. Known as an aromatic ingredient in May wine, making sweet woodruff an ingredient in this punch. Modern herbalists recommend sweet woodruff as a laxative and as an antiarthritic. Sweet woodruff is mainly grown today as a ground cover liking shady areas. This has an extra touch from Lavender. May Wine Topic http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?p=4543721
- 12 woodruff (tips of fresh sweet woodruff slightly crushed )
- 1 cup superfine sugar (or an extra special treat Lavender Sugar With Vanilla would be really lovely or check below)
- 2 -750 ml dry white wine
- 750 ml champagne
- 16 fresh strawberries
- In a large punch bowl, combine sweet woodruff, lavender sugar, and 1 bottle of wine. Cover, and steep for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cover, stir the mixture, remove the woodruff, and pour the wine over ice in a punch bowl. Add the remaining ingredients, stir, and serve as soon as thoroughly chilled.
- Easy Lavender sugar:.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon dried lavender flowers and 1 cup sugar in a blender and blend till combined and buds are fine.
OMG! I loved it with the lavander. This is my new favorite wine cocktail. It's light and refreshing.