Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
One of two ways to make this Dal
- 236.59 ml red lentil
- 709.77 ml water
- 4.92 ml red chili powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml turmeric powder
- 2 whole green chilies, chopped
- 9.85 ml fresh coriander, chopped
- 4.92 ml garam masala
For Baghar (temper)
- 59.14 ml ghee or 59.14 ml cooking oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2.46 ml cumin
- wash dal in a few changes of water, until the water runs clear.
- soak in cold water for about half hour
- place in pot with water, salt, red chilli powder and cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until dal is very tender.
- when dal is tender it should resemble a creamy soup (you might have to add more water if the its not creamy and cook for furtur 10 to 20 minutes).
- For the temper - heat oil in a frying pan add the garlic and fry until light brown , at this point add cumin and fry for few seconds and pour over the lentil and stir and cook for few minutes.
- cover and take off heat.
- serve hot.
- garnish with coriander and green chillies.
- Sprinkle a little garam masala on top.
- serve with boiled rice or chapatis.
Oh, this was so yummy! I actually prefered eating it without the garnishes, and it was so good I didn't bother heating up any rice, just ate it plain. I did reduce the oil to 2 tablespoons, but that was the only thing I changed. Thanks so much for sharing.