Recipe by RecipeMonster
I found this recipe on the internet awhile back and finally got around to trying it, and I'm glad I did. Its very good.
Top Review by Mysterygirl
We ate this with some smoked sausage that I fried, some fried cinnamon apples and biscuits. It was a wonderful meal and this was the star. Simple ingredients but they combined so great! Thanks for posting! :D
- 1 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks (about 5)
- 6 cups green cabbage, shredded (1 small)
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened and cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, thinly sliced
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, extra sharp grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F Lightly oil a 3-quart baking dish.
- Place potatoes in a large heavy pot. Add salted water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until tender, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drop cabbage into a pot of boiling salted water and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Drain potatoes and return to pot. Place over low heat and shake, uncovered, for about 30 seconds to evaporate excess moisture.
- Remoe from heat and mash potatoes with an electric mixer or a potato masher. Add cream cheese and 1 teaspoon salt. Mash until smooth. Fold in scallions and reserved cabbage. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Spread mixture into prepared baking dish 9x13 and top with cheese. (The casserole will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.).
- Bake casserole at 425 degrees uncovered, for 30 to 45 minutes depending on if the casserole goes into the oven warm or cold.