Prep 8 hrs
Cook 10 mins
The secret to a perfect tuna steak is to cook it as you would a rare or medium-rare steak, overcooking will produce a tough dry fish, the center needs to be pink -- plan ahead the steaks need to marinade for 8-24 hours, prep time includes refrigeration time --- I have made this in the past many times it is *very* good!
- 3 (4 ounce) fresh tuna steaks
- ground black pepper (to taste) or lemon pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced (can use less if desired)
- In a bowl combine all marinade ingredients until well blended.
- Place the tuna steaks into a shallow glass dish (I use an 11 x 7-inch baking pan for this).
- Pour the marinade over the tuna steaks and turn to coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate 8-24 hours (turning a couple of times during chilling).
- Preheat the grill to HIGH heat.
- Oil the grill grate.
- Remove the steaks from marinade (discard any marinade) and place on a plate.
- Season lightly with freshly ground black pepper on both sides.
- Grill the steaks for 5 minutes per side or until rare or medium-rare (DO NOT overcook the tuna or it will be dry!).
Very good, even though I didn't get to marinate it for 8 hrs, still delicious!
Again, another fantastic recipe from my favorite chef, Kittencal!! I made this exactly as posted and it turned out PERFECT! The combination of flavors in the marinate is prefect. I grilled the steaks leaving some pink inside and they were moist and soooooooo tasty. I served them with an oriental salad and the two dishes complimented each other perfectly. Thank you for sharing Kittencal. I always know if it has your name on it, it will be delicious.
Excellent. Definitely a keeper. cooked on a charcoal grill. Great flavor.