Recipe by English_Rose
Beautiful accompaniment to roast meat, or used as part of an antipasti platter with salami, cooked meats, cheeses etc.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs raw beets
- 1 pint red wine vinegar
- 2 quarts water
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 red chile, finely chopped
- 1 pint olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and scrub the beets under cold running water. Place them in a saucepan with the vinegar, salt and water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover then pan and simmer for about 1¼ hours until the beets are tender. Meanwhile, combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Once the beets are cooked, drain, place on a cloth and pat dry. Remove the skins with the help of the cloth.
- Cut into slices, place in the marinade and mix well. Leave for a day before serving. The beets will keep for several days in a covered container in the fridge but should be brought to room temperature before serving.