Recipe by Donna M.
Very special breakfast bread (good anytime!) Makes a very classy French Toast.
Top Review by Cindy Lynn
This is the first time I used the "dough" cycle on my bread machine to make a loaf of bread. I'd been hearing that bread machine recipes prepped in the bread machine and baked in the oven turned out so much better, so at Donna's recommendation, I decided to try it with this recipe. It is wonderful. I used my own homemade maple syrup (I almost always have a jug in the fridge) and increased the cinnamon to 1 tsp. since my family are cinnamon lovers. I served this with bacon and eggs for breakfast this morning. My husband had his toasted and I had mine fresh sliced. It was soooooo tender (both toasted and untoasted). Normally I would drizzle an icing over the top, but this didn't need that. I couldn't believe it was this sweet for a sourdough bread. My husband normally only tolerates sourdough breads, but this one he'd like to have again. I almost forgot to mention, since I was baking this in the oven, I opted not to add the yeast and it rose beautifully. I baked it at 375 deg F for about 30 minutes, then buttered the top when it was fresh out of the oven.
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon maple extract
- 3 cups bread flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon yeast (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place ingredients in bread machine pan according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Yeast is optional if baking in conventional oven.
- Select basic white cycle, or dough cycle if you prefer to bake in the oven.
- At end of dough cycle, shape into loaf and place in lightly greased bread pan.
- Cover and let rise until about doubled.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Turn out of pan onto wire rack to cool.
- Brush crust with melted butter if desired, for a soft crust.
- NOTE: To toast walnuts, spread on a shallow baking pan and place in a 350 degree F oven for about 10 minutes.