The Doctor's Sourdough Bread
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 30mins
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk, warm
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 7 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Mix the starter and 2 1/2 Cups of the flour and all the water the night before you want to bake.
- Let stand in warm place overnight.
- Next morning mix in the butter with warm milk and stir in yeast until until dissolved.
- Add honey and when thoroughly mixed, add 2 more cups of flour, and stir in the wheat germ.
- Sprinkle sugar, salt, and baking soda over the mixture.
- Gentlypress into dough and mix lightly.
- Allow to stand from 30 to 50 minutes until mixture is bubbly.
- Add enough flour until the dough cleans the sides of the bowl.
- Then place the dough on a lightly floured board and kead 100 times or until silky mixture is developed.
- Form into 4 1-lb loaves, place in well-greased loaf pans 9 x 3 size.
- Let rise until double, about 2 to 3 hours in a warm room.
- Then bake in hot oven, 400 degrees F, for 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temp. to 325 degrees F. and bake 20 minutes longer or until thoroughly baked.
- Remove from pans and place loaves on rack to cool.
- Butter tops of loaves to prevent hard crustyness.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I loved this bread! The best! I made this yesterday and it's all gone today. Delicious. Thanks so much for sharing. I used the starter in Recipe #133362 and realized, for the first time, that the starter needs to be brought to room temperature before mixing into the recipe. Yes, there are many steps to making this bread but it is so worth it.