Recipe by mollypaul
A lovely, comforting deep-fried bread with the most delicious sauce. From the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooking time approximate.
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- oil or fat, for frying
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Maple Syrup Pudding Sauce
- 3⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oil to 360°F.
- Sift first three ingredients together very well; add milk and cream.
- Add eggs slowly, stirring constantly.
- Drop by spoonfuls into hot oil or fat and fry until well puffed and golden.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
- For the sauce: Boil syrup and water until it reaches 228F on the candy thermometer or till it spins a thread.
- Add syrup gradually to egg whites, beating constantly; add lemon juice and fold in whipped cream.