Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 14.79 ml maple syrup
- 158.51 ml Crisco shortening
- 1656.13 ml apples, peeled and sliced
- 177.44 ml maple syrup
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 29.58 ml maple syrup
- 118.29 ml pecans, Chopped
- 473.18 ml unbleached flour
- 4.92 ml butter
- 4.92 ml salt
- 7 to 8 T cold water Preheat oven to 375 degrees. For crust, combine flour, baking powder and salt in large mixing bowl. Cut in Crisco shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is uniform. Sprinkle water in, 1 tbsp. at a time, until dough forms a ball. Divide dough into 2 equal parts.
- On lightly floured surface, roll bottom crust into circle 1/8" thick and 1/2" larger than and inverted 9" pie plate. Gently, ease crust into greased plate, being careful not to stretch dough. Trim edge even with plate.
- For filling, microwave apple slices on high for 2 minutes. Stir; repeat procedure twice or until apples begin to soften. Set aside.
- In separate microwaving bowl, combine maple syrup and cornstarch.
- Microwave 2 minutes; stir. Repeat procedure until mixture starts to thicken. Add the thickened mixture to apples. Toss lightly until apples are well coated; set aside to cool. Spoon cooled Apple filling into unbaked pastry shell.
- For nut filling, combine pecans, syrup and butter in microwaving bowl. Microwave on high 1 minute, stir and continue to microwave an additional minute on medium setting. Stir to break up mixture.
- Spread nut mixture on top of apple filling.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out top crust the same as bottom. Carefully,lift top crust onto filled pie;trim 1/2" beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top edge under crust. Crimp edges or flute as desired. Slit top crust with knife to allow steam to escape. Bake at 375 degrees for 60 minutes or until apples start to bubble. Brush top of pie with maple syrup; continue to bake and additional 5 minutes.
Excellent! I "cheated" and used prepared pie crust but the filling was a wonderful blend of flavours. I will definitely make this one again. My only caveat is to watch how long you have the maple syrup in the microwave. I would recommend 30 sec to 1 minute bursts after the inital 2 minutes to check for thickness or else you end up with really thick/hard caramel.