Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
These yummy sandwiches are made easy by baking them rather than trying coat it all in egg and flip without a blowout! Great recipe for those busy nights when you just do not know WHAT to make for supper. This is really quick and easy yet tastes and looks impressive! Makes an easy and complete meal when served with pasta, potato or veggie salad. I have mixed and matched the meats, cheeses and jelly combos using personal preference or what I have on hand. Feel free to do the same.
- 9 slices whole wheat bread
- 3 slices deli turkey
- 3 slices deli ham
- 3 slices monterey jack cheese
- 3 slices muenster cheese
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper jelly, more if preferred
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Assemble triple decker sandwiches by laying slices of bread in three rows of three. Spread jelly on three slices.
- Place 1 slice meat and 1 slice cheese on 1 slice bread and top with jelly bread, jelly side facing meat.
- Spread more pepper jelly on top, add another slice of meat and cheese and top with another piece of bread.
- If desired, insert toothpicks in the corners to make your triple decker sammy easier to handle.
- Mix flour salt and baking powder together in a bowl wide enough to place the sandwich in without bending.
- Measure water in a glass measuring cup and add the egg. Beat well and pour into bowl of flour mix stirring well to combine.
- Dip each sandwich on both sides in the batter mixture and immediately place on a well oiled or sprayed cookie sheet. Bake at 350 til golden brown- no flipping required. About 10 minutes or so.
- Cool slightly, remove toothpicks, cut into fourths and sprinkle with powdered sugar.