Recipe by Georgia Girl
These were my Mama's best loved bar cookies. Everybody who had them for the first time always wanted the recipe, and the people who had tasted them before always begged for more.
- 3⁄4 cup sifted flour
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 3⁄4 cup moist flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar (approximately)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Mix the flour and butter together until it resembles a very fine crumb.
- Sprinkle evenly into the bottom of an 11 X 7" pan, and pat lightly to smooth out any lumps.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350°.
- Meanwhile beat the eggs, and mix in the brown sugar, nuts, coconut, vanilla and baking powder.
- Spread this mixture onto the baked crust as soon as you take it from the oven.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes at 350°.
- Mix the lemon rind and juice with the confectioner's sugar to make a creamy glaze.
- Spread the lemon glaze evenly over the top of the hot cookie mixture as soon as you take it from the oven.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.
- Store in an airtight container as the lemon glaze will dry out if left out for more than a day.
- (This is not usually a problem because there are never any leftovers!)**I use the Angel Flake coconut in the can or the bag.
- Any brand of moist, flaked coconut will do, but you do not want to use the dry, shredded coconut for this recipe.