Recipe by Member #610488
This recipe is from a local Italian restaurant and is one of my favorites. In Italy, gnocchi were originally called ravioli and in some places still are but time moved on and gnocchi are gnocchi and ravioli are ravioli. Malfatti means "badly made" and if you were wanting ravioli, this recipe would disappoint you since Malfatti are really gnocchi. This is a recipe that needs an overnight so plan accordingly.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 2 1⁄2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup romano cheese, grated
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, minced (green tops included)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- flour, to roll dumplings in
- 6 -8 quarts salt water
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- 6 -8 cups hot marinara sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the frozen spinach in a saucepan with the salt. Cook until thawed (15 min) over low heat. Drain squeezing out the water from the spinach and then mince until fine.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, breadcrumbs, the two cheeses, eggs, the herbs, the nutmeg and black pepper. Mix well and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to make, form oval dumplings 3 inches long and about 1 inch in diameter. Roll each dumpling in the flour. Do not let them touch each other while they stand.
- Bring the salted water to a boil. Drop the dumplings into the salted water to form one layer. When they have risen to the surface, cook for 4 more minutes.
- Lift out the cooked malfatti, letting them drain well, and place into a well-buttered oven proof dish in a 250 degrees F oven while the other batches cook.
- To serve, toss with butter and serve. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and 1 cup marinara per person.
- NOTE: can be frozen after cooking. To serve, toss frozen malfatti in melted butter and Parmesan cheese, place in a well buttered dish and heat in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes.