Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe is from Midwest Living magazine.
- 1 (18 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup instant malted milk powder
Malt Shop Frosting
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packages vanilla flavor instant pudding and pie filling mix, mix
- 4 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup instant malted milk powder
- 2⁄3 cup chopped malted milk balls
- 1⁄3 cup chocolate fudge topping, warmed just to pouring consistency
- 18 -20 maraschino cherries, with stems drained and patted dry
- Line twenty 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cake mix, the water, oil, eggs and the 1/4 cup malted milk powder with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes more.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups, filling cups two-thirds full with batter.
- Bake in a 350 degrees oven about 18 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks.
- For Malt Shop Frosting, in a large mixing bowl, beat together the pudding mixes, whipping cream and the 1 cup malted milk powder with an electric mixer on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- Pipe or spread frosting over cupcakes. Sprinkle each with chopped malted milk balls, drizzle with fudge topping and top with a cherry. Store chilled in an airtight container up to 2 days.