Recipe by Sugar_Pies
This is an original recipe that uses the fabulous flavor of Malibu Coconut Rum, real coconut, and sour cream for a delicious moist cake that is perfect for a Summer gathering.
Top Review by Muffin Goddess
LOVED this! I'm a bit biased, because I haven't found a Bundt cake yet that I didn't at least kinda like, lol, but this one was really yummy! The cake was very moist and tender, and while the frosting seemed like it might be too sweet by itself, it complemented the cake perfectly. When the cake was cooling in the pan, I tasted a bit of the craggy stuff from the soon-to-be bottom of the cake, and I think I would've enjoyed it even if I omitted the frosting (not that I did, just sayin...). My only complaint was that the frosting looked kind of shaggy and messy once applied to the cake. I think it might have turned out prettier if the coconut was simply sprinkled on after the frosting was applied, rather than mixed in. I did find that coconut was not a very dominant flavor in this, so you might want to add some coconut extract to either the cake or frosting if you're looking for a very coconutty cake. I garnished this with fresh raspberries primarily for color, but found that the tart little berries were also delicious with the sweet cake. I will definitely be making this again, thanks for posting! Made for PAC Fall 2011
- 354.88 ml butter, softened
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 118.29 ml brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 4.92 ml orange extract
- 118.29 ml Malibu rum
- 59.14 ml sour cream
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 0.59 ml salt
- 236.59 ml heavy whipping cream
Coconut Rum Icing
- 78.07 ml butter
- 59.14 ml milk
- 946.36 ml powdered sugar (sifted)
- 4.92 ml Malibu rum
- 59.14 ml flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla, beating until blended. Add orange extract, beating until blended. Gradually add rum and sour cream, beating until blended.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add alternately with whipping cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat batter until blended after each addition. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch Bundt pan.
- Bake at 350° for 55 to 60 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool completely on wire rack. Ice with Coconut Rum Icing.
- Coconut Rum Icing Directions:.
- Melt together butter and milk over low heat in small sauce pan. When melted stir in Rum and sugar. Whip with wire whisk until thick enough to pour over cake. If necessary add more sugar or hot water to adjust thickness of icing. Stir in flaked coconut.
- Place cake on wire rack over cookie sheet (line with foil or wax paper to speed cleanup) and pour icing over cake. Use an offset spatula to smooth icing if necessary to cover cake. Sprinkle with a little flaked coconut for garnish.