Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Equipment needed: clean glass jars with airtight lids; thick bottomed large pot ; whisk; cooking thermometer; thick blanket or ice cooler;
- Using a large pot, heat the milk to about 195-200 F (~91- 94 C). This is for two reasons:. One: It kills any other bacteria that might be in the milk that would compete against the bacteria that convert milk to yogurt. Two: It changes the milk protein in a way that allows it to culture and firm up.
- Let it cool down to 110-115F (43-46C).
- Wisk in the yogurt culture into the milk gently.
- Transfer into the yogurt jars and close the lids.
- Wrap jars in a thick blanket or put in a ice cooler isolated with a blanket over night.
- After 6-8 hours the yogurt should be firm. Test by gently turning it to see if it keeps its shape. Transfer jars to the refrigerator.
I love this recipe! Who would have thought that it is this easy to make yogurt! And you can control the ingredients! Fantastic!