1 hr 10 mins
Hajar Elizabeth's Note:
This is one of my favorite ways to eat clams though I also adore good fried clams, steamers and clam chowder. Perhaps I just love clams! I love most seafood though. I first had linguine with red clam sauce at about 12 years of age on a trip to North Conway New Hampshire with my cousin's grandparents. Being a kid who was NOT going to order a cheeseburger, I fell in love with this. There is a good canned brand available in Maine by a national company which I will use when not feeling well in a pinch. I much prefer homemade though and I hope to make a few converts to a dish I so relish! I have also used tiny shrimp for this and it is very nice as well. This is a quick and easy way to make this sauce so enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 pint fresh clams, chopped or 3 (6 ounce) cans chopped clams
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes with juice
- pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 8 ounces linguine, cooked
- 1Add oil to saucepan or skillet and very lightly brown garlic over medium heat.
- 2Add parsley, basil, and pepper; stir well.
- 3Add clams, tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir well and cover. Let sauce simmer 20 minutes. Should your tomatoes be very acidic you may need to add 1 teaspoons sugar for balance.
- 4Uncover and cook at a bubble until desired consistency. Approx 20 minutes. You can also simmer this on low heat until it has darkened and is "burnished." Both ways are lovely.
- 5Pour over cooked hot linguine.
- 6I serve this with a salad of mixed greens and vinaigrette with good dipping bread. This also makes for an excellent first course.
Browse Our Top Clams Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mainiac Linguine With Red Clam Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 420.0
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 38.2 mg
- Sodium 808.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 24.3 g