Recipe by bluemoon downunder
Yoghurt cakes are always so moist. I love the sound of the lemon flavourings in this one. The recipe specifies natural yoghurt, but when I make it I plan to use creamy Greek yoghurt. I'm posting this recipe, which I found in 'The Best of Lebanese and Middle Eastern Cooking' for the 2005 Zaar World Tour.
Top Review by Mrs. Danger_horse
Absolutely delicous. My mum said it was just like cake that she used to have when she was a little girl in Germany. Dense, moist and lemony. Easy to make and very easy to eat!
- 1 cup natural yoghurt
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 375 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 310 g self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 250 g strawberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light, then beat in the yoghurt.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Add the lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Stir in the sifted flour and bicarbonate of soda, and gently fold it into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly greased and lined 23mm spring-form pan.
- Bake in a moderate oven (180°C; 350°F) for 45 minutes, or until golden brown and firm to touch.
- To serve: decorate with whipped cream and strawberries.