Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
I was looking for summer-themed recipes to share and came across this very unique one, courtesy of the National Watermelon Promotion Board. What screams "Summer" louder than watermelon? What surprised me most wasn't the addition of this sweet, succulent fruit to savory mashed potatoes, but that watermelon needs promoting at all. Go figure.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 5 ounces soft fresh goat cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2-1 cup watermelon juice
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain well. return to pot. Mix in cheese and butter. Mash until smooth. Add watermelon juice, cream, basil and garlic and stir over medium heat until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.