Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Homemade mac 'n' cheese always beats the stuff in a box and this version is easy enough to whip up at short notice.
- 200 g large macaroni
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 200 ml creme fraiche or 200 ml double cream
- 60 g fresh gruyere cheese
- 10 g butter
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C.
- In a large pot, bring 2 liters of water to a boil with a bit of salt and add the pasta.
- Cook for 8 minutes.
- Drain by lifting it out of the water and immediately coat with the olive oil.
- Meanwhile, take a broad oven proof dish-- wide enough to comfortably fit two layers of pasta.
- If it is too small the pasta will be too deep and only a small portion of it will be"au gratin".
- Rub the inside of the dish hard with the clove of garlic, cut in half.
- In a bowl, mix the pasta with the cream and cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper and pour into the ovenproof dish.
- Dot the surface with butter and put into the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.
- When it is done you should have a wonderful golden gratin.
- If you want more colour, you can pop the gratin under the grill for a minute or so.
This was a really good, mild-flavored macaroni dish. I made this as written, but doubled the cheese, using half gruyere and half swiss. I loved how the top got nice and browned. I think this goes best with a bold-flavored meat or main dish. I think next time, I'd add some fresh herbs and maybe a spice such as nutmeg or dry mustard or paprika just to perk up the flavor a tad. I'd also double the recipe. :) Thanx!
Good for when you are a hurry and you don't really have that much cheese. This fed 2 adults and a toddler who loves pasta but it really could have been doubled as the serving sizes are standard servings.