Rich, creamy, warm and comforting. This blockbuster has lots of cheese, enough to swirl throughout the creamy sauce, which in turn oozes through every tube of pasta. Topped with crisp breadcrumbs, the crunchy-creamy contrast is just unbeatable.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/4 cups large elbow macaroni (about 1 ounces)
- 12 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 cups fresh coarse breadcrumbs
- 1 cup packed finely grated parmesan cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups whole milk
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 1/2 cups packed grated Fontina cheese (about 14 ounces)
- 1 1/4 cups frozen peas
- 1Preheat oven to 350*F.
- 2Butter 13X9X2 inch baking dish.
- 3Cook macaroni in a heavy large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite.
- 4Drain, rinse and drain again.
- 5Cook bacon in a large heavy pot over medium heat until crisp.
- 6(10 minutes) Transfer bacon and 1/4 cup pan drippings to a large bowl.
- 7Add breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup parsley.
- 8Toss together.
- 9Add minced garlic to remaining pan drippings and saute over mdedium heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 10Add flour and whisk 3 minutes.
- 11Gradually whisk in whole milk, then egg yolks, salt and pepper.
- 12Cook until mixture thickens, whisking constantly, about 12 minutes.
- 13Add 2 cups Fontina cheese and remaining 3/4 cup Parmesan.
- 14Whisk to melt cheese.
- 15Remove from heat.
- 16Stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups fontina, peas and macaroni.
- 17Pour into prepared dish.
- 18Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over top and bake just until topping is golden, about 15 minutes.
- 19Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese Carbonara
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 714.4
- Calories from Fat 330
- Total Fat 36.7 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Cholesterol 211.6 mg
- Sodium 1355.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 33.1 g