Recipe by Violets Mom
The best mac EVER! This is a low fat version that also has a whole bunch of veggie goodness in it. Find out how...
- 1 lb whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 2 (10 ounce) boxesfrozen pureed winter squash
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 2 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until tender but firm, about 5 to 8 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, place the frozen squash and milk into a large saucepan and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally and breaking up the squash with a spoon until it is defrosted. Turn the heat up to medium and cook until the mixture is almost simmering, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the Cheddar, jack cheese, ricotta cheese, salt, mustard and cayenne pepper. Pour cheese mixture over the macaroni and stir to combine. Transfer the macaroni and cheese to the baking dish.
- Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and oil in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, then broil for 3 minutes so the top is crisp and nicely browned.