1/1 Photo of Mac and Cheese Skewers
2 hrs 30 mins
Recipe courtesy Dan Smith and Steve McDonagh.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 lb rigatoni pasta (about 40 pieces)
- 4 ounces easy melting American cheese (recommended -- Velveeta)
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten with 2 teaspoons water, for egg wash
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
- frilly toothpick
- 1Fill a saucepan halfway with water and place over high heat. Bring to a boil and salt the water liberally. Add the rigatoni and cook 9 to 11 minutes, until al dente. Drain, rinse well under cold water and set aside.
- 2Cut the block of cheese into 1/2-inch slices and cut each slice into 4 equal pieces lengthwise. Cut each piece in half. You should have 40 pieces. Slide 1 piece of the cheese into each rigatoni (the size should be near perfect.)
- 3Pour the bread crumbs, Parmesan, and parsley into a small bowl and mix well. Working in small batches, put the stuffed rigatoni into the egg wash first, then roll in the bread crumb mixture. Place in a sealable container (they can be stacked on top of each other). Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours and up to 2 weeks.
- 4Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- 5Pour the vegetable oil into a medium saucepan and place over medium heat for 5 minutes. Test by dropping a cube of bread into the oil; if it turns golden within 1 minute the oil is ready.
- 6Working in batches of 6 to 8 and using a slotted spoon, carefully drop the rigatoni into the oil. Fry for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, until the bread crumbs are a golden brown. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Repeat until all of the rigatoni have been fried. Keep warm in the preheated oven.
- 7To serve, skewer 1 piece of the mac and cheese and a cherry tomato half with a frilly toothpick. Serve while still warm.
- 8Cook's Note: Since these are time consuming and since they freeze well, it's worth making a larger batch than needed and storing them.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mac and Cheese Skewers
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1341.0
- Calories from Fat 1106
- Total Fat 122.9 g
- Saturated Fat 21.0 g
- Cholesterol 161.5 mg
- Sodium 683.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 19.4 g