Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe makes a hearty filling pancake that is full of nutrition. You can used the flavored malt-o-meal instead but you may want to omit or cut back on the molasses and cinnamon. Optionally you can add fruit and or nuts to these.
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup Malt-o-Meal original hot cereal, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup powdered dry milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄3 cup molasses (optional)
- Combine dry ingredients and liquid ingredients in separate bowls.
- Add liquid mixture to dry mixture, stirring until combined. Let set for 5 minutes.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter onto hot non-stick griddle. Cook until tops are bubbly and edges look dry. Turn and cook until lightly browned.
Great pancakes! Loved the flavor and texture the Malt-O-Meal gave (I used the regular flavor). I used half of the optional cinnamon and molasses amounts and loved the rich hearty flavor they gave. Really enjoyed these - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for Spring PAC 2009
I haven't had pancakes in so long and am avoiding white flour so these were GREAT! Mine were fluffy and soft. I made a half recipe and used everything except the molasses. I also used some fresh squeezed OJ in place of some of the water. We enjoyed this with butter, homemade Splenda maple syrup and a fresh fruit compote. YUM! Made for Holiday tag.
These were flatter pancakes, and took a little longer than usual to cook up, but they were good, as all my kids ate them. I used some regular and some maple MOM, so I reduced the cinnamon to 1/2 and left out molasses (personal pref.) I was glad it took powdered milk and water, as I was out of milk! I also added some flax and oat bran and next time will add 2 T protein powder. Might add a couple T of oil too.