Dr Nick's Note:
I had the privilege to be introduced to the legendary Upstate New York gastronomic delight- the spiedie - while visiting Binghamton, NY. I've long ago used the last of the terrific Lupo's marinade I brought back to Australia with me. I searched for years to find a similar recipe and have tried many. This one was posted on a web forum and claimed to be the authentic recipe from someone who used to work there. I've adjusted it slightly and think its pretty close. This is my favorite football Sunday lunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dice chicken breasts into 1" cubes.
- 2Whisk all other ingredients together to form marinade. Set some aside for basting or sauce if desired (though I don't think this is necessary).
- 3Add marinade to chicken and refrigerate overnight, stirring occasionally (the acidic nature of the marinade will 'chemically' cook the meat partially).
- 4Thread 5 or so cubes onto metal or soaked bamboo skewers and grill for a few minutes either side, just until meat is firm (remember, they're already partially cooked by the marinade).
- 5Place two skewers on a fresh bread roll or Italian bread, grip the meat firmly with the bread and pull out skewers.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for " Lupo's " Chicken Spiedies
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 516.1
- Calories from Fat 314
- Total Fat 34.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 61.8 mg
- Sodium 659.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 24.8 g