Prep 35 mins
Cook 50 mins
Mmmm, this is a yummy, chewy, flavor-loaded loaf what has many health benefits! It has a mix of sweet and sour fruit flavours and the deep, intense molasses undertone. Yum Yum!
- 2 1⁄8 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine (like becel original)
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 2⁄3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 medium apple, cored and grated (loosely drain extra juices)
- 1⁄3 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄3 cup raspberries, Thawed if frozen (DRAIN JUICES)
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts (optional) or 1⁄4 cup pecans (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F, and spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift ww flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg substitute, molasses, brown sugar, margarine, applesauce, yogurt, grated apple and lemon zest until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into flour mixture, stirring just until moistened, then gently fold in cranberries and raspberries (and optional nuts). Batter will be very thick.
- Spread batter into prepared loaf pan (big one!) and bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool on cooling rack 10-15 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Cover and refrigerate to bring out the flavors.