Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
modified from theveganchef.com
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup unbleached cane sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup cold coffee or 1⁄2 cup espresso
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Lightly oil a 9-inch springform or cake pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, and set aside.
- In a measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients, except the cider vinegar.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and whisk well to combine. Drizzle the cider vinegar over the top of the batter and whisk quickly to incorporate.
- Pour batter into the prepared springform pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a rack for 10 minutes, loosen edges with a knife, remove the ring, and allow cake to cool completely.