Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Inspired by healthy eating, TRUE! This recipe ROCKS for you know who! For the budget conscious, ideal as well! Who will be first to review? Time will tell! NOTE: If don't like spinach, don't let the recipe throw you off from making...LEAVE IT OUT :)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs pumpkin
- 500 g low-fat ricotta
- 1⁄3 cup parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 24 cannelloni tubes
- 2 1⁄2 cups passata
- 1 cup water
- cooking spray
- Peel and deseed pumpkin; cut into pieces.
- On flat plate, cover pumpkin with oval dish or cling wrap and place in microwave 10 minutes; mash.
- Reserve 1/4 cup ricotta.
- In bowl, combine rest of ricotta, pepper, nutmeg and ginger.
- NOTE: I had spinach ricotta on hand; more than ok to just use low-fat ricotta.
- Add egg, egg white and pumpkin to ricotta mixture and combine well.
- Spoon mixture into tubes.
- NOTE: Can use ziplock bag with small hole on end (filled with mixture) to fill tubes to make it easier or simply use bigger tubes :).
- NOTE: I used instant tubes no pre cooking necessary to make it faster and easier to prepare.
- In baking dish, place 1/4 cup passata and 1/2 cup water.
- NOTE: This sauce is very thin; if you like a thicker type sauce, use pasta sauce of your choice.
- Place filled tubes in bottom of pre-sprayed baking dish.
- Top with 1/2 cup reserved ricotta.
- Add 1/2 cup water on top.
- Bake covered for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- NOTE: Tubes should be soft and cheese is lightly brown.
- NOTE: I serve with bed of rocket, feta cheese and tomato with 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar.
I have very slim pickings in my pantry, so I modified a few things...but the idea is mmmm mmmm good! I used stuffed shells instead of canelloni tubes and made a cream sauce with pumpkin flavored creamer :) instead of the passata. I didn't see an oven temp, so I used 350 F. I'm making this again next week when my sister comes over! Thank you! (and thanks for adopting me mickey :)