Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Much adapted from a weight-watchers recipe, this is healthier for you than the high-fat cakes and biscuits cramming the supermarket aisles at this time of year. Pureed mangoes make it very moist without butter. I mean tinned mangoes and granulated splenda but the program gets confused if I put that in ingredients.
- 5 ounces self-raising flour
- 425 g mangoes, drained and pureed in a blender
- 2 -3 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 ounce low-fat margarine
- Preheat the oven. I do mine to 160 degrees but it is fan-assisted, so if yours isn't I would do 180 or even 200.
- Use the low-fat spread to grease an 8-inch loaf tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg-whites to a froth.
- In another bowl, stir the flour, mango puree, vanilla essence and egg yolk together.
- Fold the whisked whites into this mixture.
- Pour into the greased tin and bake for 30-40mins.
- Let cool, then slice.
to newie girl.... maybe you forgot to drain the canned fruit, or had a hard time understanding the directions... because they dont make much sense & I've been cooking for over 25 years!
This was awful, it didn't rise at all! The texture was horrible, don't understand why the recipe didn't work.