Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This was created by Barb Goldstein from a low carb site. It is very rich and chocolatey and would make a special treat for Valentine's day. The main sweetener is splenda and not sugar, and it contains no flour. If you can spare the carbs, top with whipped cream and berries.
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups Splenda sugar substitute
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- Grease 8" inch round cake pan, and cut 8" parchment or wax paper round to fit inside, grease the top of the paper.
- Microwave chocolate and butter on high one minute at a time until melted.
- Whisk until smooth, then add vanilla, and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat well.
- Add splenda, incorporating until melted in.
- Sift in cocoa powder and mix lightly.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in the center of the oven for 20 minutes unil a light crust is formed around the edges.
- Cool on rack for 5 minutes.
- Losen cake around the edges with a knife and invert on serving plate.
- Cool completely before serving.
- Can top with powdered splenda or whipped cream.
A little salty and after taste of splenda was a little overpowering. I think maybe a different sweetner. You may be able to use this as a topper of some sort.
I agree with Sausage on this cake. It was very salty tasting and I won't be making it again. Someone told me that Dutch chocolate will help prevent this... I used unsalted butter and figured I was o.k. but that was not so.
Followed the directions and used all the ingredients called for, but the taste was terrible. It had a nice crust and the aroma was to die for but that was all there was. It had a salty after-taste.