Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A lighter version of the traditional recipe.
Make and share this Lite Fettuccine Alfredo recipe from Food.com.
- Saute garlic, mushrooms, and spinach in a bit of veggie broth.
- Cover, to keep warm.
- Use a whisk to mix the skim milk and the flour in a small saucepan.
- Heat the mixture slowly until it begins to thicken (but not boil).
- Add the cheese and pepper.
- Add the spinach and mushrooms.
- Toss with warm, cooked pasta.
- Serve immediately.
The idea was good and the flavor of the sauce was ok. (We substituted evaporated milk for the skim milk) The addition of the mushrooms and spinach was nice. (I will probably incorporate it into future alfredo dishes) We added onion, because what is mushroom, garlic and spinach craves onion. In the end though, there just wasn't enough sauce. The recipe as written expects 3/4 c. liquid to cover 1.5 boxes of noodles? No chance. I used less than one box and had to add vegetable stock to make it spread. I used .75 box of fettuchini pasta and should have tripled the amount of sauce (milk, cheese and flour) to get good coverage. It is a good recipe to start with but needs some tweaking.