Recipe by love4culinary
This is a beautiful yet very different tart. It is very tangy and sweet; it'll be like nothing you've ever had before. This is something I adapted from a recipe for a lemon-nut tart. ENJOY! prep time doesnt include time to refrigerate!! Cook time includes pastry cooking time and overall cooking time with filling included.
Top Review by MaryMc
The limes I used were really BIG--and boy, was this tart ever tart!! I think I'd use smaller limes next time, or just three big ones. Also, I needed to add a little water to the dough for the crust to make it hold together enough to roll. But my guests liked it, and came back for seconds!
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 4 limes, juice and rind of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup macadamia nuts, finely ground
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 9 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 pinch salt
- creme fraiche or yogurt, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- First preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Then you will begin making your pastry.
- Sift your flour and sugar into a bowl, and then rub the butter into the flour/sugar mixture with your fingers until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Add your egg and salt, and mix minimally to form a smooth dough.
- Knead the dough lightly on a lightly floured surface and form the dough into a flat round, making sure it is nice and smooth.
- Wrap your dough in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, roll out your dough on a lightly floured work surface and line a 9 inch loose-bottomed round tart pan.
- Prick the dough and chill for 20 more minutes in the refrigerator.
- Line the entire crust with parchment paper and put some baking beans into the pan and blind bake your pastry for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, take out beans and remove paper and return the pastry to the oven for 10 more minutes until it is light gold.
- Remove from oven when done.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling by beating the eggs with the sugar very well.
- Carefully stir the lime rind and juice, vanilla, finely ground macadamia nuts, and heavy cream.
- Pour the filling over the pastry very carefully and make sure that there is an even surface.
- Put into your oven and bake for 25 minutes at 350 until the filling is set.
- Remove from oven.
- Heat your broiler and then sift a very thick layer of powdered sugar over the surface of the tart.
- Put under the broiler until your sugar forms a beautiful glaze.
- Before serving, sprinkle with a very small amount of powdered sugar and serve with a small amount of yogurt or cream fraiche.