from loyalty cookbook 1953 it calls for sugar in recipe i wouldn't use it but the option is there for you and i think you could use frozen beans and not need to cook them up but if you are cooking up a pot of beans this gives you a different meal to use .and i think this could be a frozen make ahead meal pretty easily
- put limas in cold water and boil until tender ,drain.
- place in 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- cook bacon in skillet.
- add celery.
- onions pepper and garlic.
- cook until veggies tender add flour brown salt pepper and sugar if you wish cook until sauce is thick(may need a little water ) pour this sauce over beans( mix).
- cover and bake 1 hour at 300 degrees.