Recipe by Lainey39
This is a quick, easy and delicious one-pot meal which is low in fat but high in taste. This makes a large serving when divided by four and could be enough for six, depending on the appetites.
Top Review by Catherine B.
Creamy healthy Cajun heaven! I threw in some fresh baby spinach leaves for the last few minutes to wilt. We like Emeril's "Original Essence" cajun seasoning - not too spicy but flavorful. Thanks for sharing - we loved it!
- 8 ounces whole wheat linguine or 8 ounces fettuccine
- 1 lb chicken breast, strips
- 3 teaspoons cajun seasoning, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 green onions, chopped and divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the pasta in a large amount of boiling water until al dente; drain and set aside.
- Sprinkle the chicken with 2 t of the Cajun seasoning and mix until coated evenly.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken to the hot pan and cook for 2 minutes without stirring.
- When the chicken is lightly browned on one side, stir it to cook the other side (leaving it to cook without stirring helps to keep it from sticking).
- Cook for about 5 more minutes, or until no longer pink inside.
- Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Spray the pan again with the nonstick cooking spray and add the olive oil.
- Over medium-high heat, add the peppers, mushrooms and 2 of the green onions.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the lemon pepper, basil, garlic powder, remaining teaspoon of Cajun seasoning and the salt.
- Then add the half-and-half, bring to a boil and add the chicken.
- Stir until coated and warm.
- Add the pasta and toss to coat.
- Garnish with remaining green onions.