Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
These fluffy little light-as-a-cloud herb scented dumplings are simply heavenly served with my Wintry Beef Vegetable Stew With Fluffy Herb Dumplings #112055, or chicken stew! Use any herb you wish-- try chives, thyme, sage, etc.-- French thyme or Herbes De Napa are my favorites. GREAT comfort food! I hope you enjoy these heavenly dumplings as much as we do.
- 6 tablespoons shortening (preferably Crisco butter flavor shortening)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh herb (you may use chives, thyme, sage or whatever else you prefer,-or- 1 teaspoon dry herbs or herbes de p)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- In a large bowl, cut shortening into combined flour, baking powder, salt, parsley and herbs until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in milk.
- Drop by heaping spoon fulls onto hot meat or vegetables in boiling stew (do not drop directly into liquid).
- Cook uncovered 15 minutes.
- Cover and cook about 15 minutes longer. Cut a dumpling in half to test for doneness; you want them done but not dry!
- Serve immediately. Also good reheated the next day.