Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I am posting this recipe by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich by request of one of the members of the Italian cooking forum. I have never had a chance to try it myself but it looks and sounds fabulous, just like everything Lidia prepares on her TV show. I am guessing about the preparation time so if anyone tries this recipe, please let me know how long it took to prepare!
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 36 littleneck clams
- 1 lb linguine
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Cook the broccoli in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 2 minutes, then drain and cool under cold running water.
- Drain well and then chop coarsely.
- Scrub and shuck the clams, reserving the liquid.
- Strain the liquid, chop the clams, and combine them with the liquid.
- Bring 6 quarts of salted water to a boil over high heat and add the linguini.
- Return to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Cook the pasta, partially covered and stirring occasionally, until almost al dente, about 6 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and add the garlic, cooking until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and crushed red pepper and cook until the broccoli sizzles, about 2 minutes.
- Add the clams and their liquid and bring to a boil.
- Ladle about 1/2 cup of the pasta water into the skillet.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, cooking until the broccoli is tender, about 4 minutes.
- Drain the pasta, return it to the pot, and pour in the sauce.
- Bring the sauce and pasta to a boil, stir in the parsley and adjust the seasoning, adding salt and crushed red pepper if necessary.
- Cook, stirring until the pasta is done and there is enough sauce to coat the pasta generously but still form a small pool in the bottom of the pot, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Served drizzled with some of the extra virgin olive oil.