Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Very old recipe; uses cream; probably the pie Grandma made.
Make and share this Libbies Butterscotch Meringue Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup cream, sweet
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites, beaten stiff after pie cools
- Bring cream and brown sugar to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- Make a thickening of flour, milk, and egg yolks.
- Add to sugar mixture, tempering first before you add it; add a little of hot mixture and stir like crazy.
- Let boil again for 1 minute.
- Add vanilla and salt.
- Pour into baked pie shell.
- Spread stiffly beaten egg whites on top.
- Bake in 450 degree Fahrenheit oven until whites are cooked, about 5 minutes.