Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe is from a small village in Yunnan Province, China called Duan Jia Deng.
- 14 dried arbol chiles, stemmed
- 2 tablespoons scallions, minced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian soy sauce
- 12 large shiitake mushrooms, stemmed thinly sliced
- kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Working in batches, place chiles in a spice grinder and process until finely ground. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in scallions, oil, vinegar, and soy sauce to form a thick sauce. Set sauce aside.
- Bring a 4 qt saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until lightly chewy (5 minutes).
- Drain mushrooms and transfer to a kitchen towel. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Transfer mushrooms to bowl with sauce and toss until evenly coated. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.