Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Gourmet magazine in the 1980's.
- 4 stalks celery, cut, diagonally into 1/3 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed, blanched for 12 minutes in boiling salted water until they are tender, then drain or 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen Brussels sprouts, thawed and cooked
- In a heavy saucepan cook the celery in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until it begins to soften.
- Stir in the celery seeds and the flour and cook the mixture, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add the milk in a stream, whisking, and salt and pepper to taste and simmer the sauce 3 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Combine the cooked sprouts with the sauce, correct the seasoning and serve.
You might get a bigger audience for your recipe if you correct the spelling in the title from Brussell to Brussels or Brussel