1/1 Photo of Lemon Upside-Down Cake
1 hr 25 mins
Sydney Mike's Note:
If you love lemons, what's not to like about this unusual lemon cake recipe that comes from the 2001 cookbook, Luschious Lemon Desserts
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lemons
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1Make sure there is a rack in the middle of the oven & preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Trim ends from lemons & cut into slices 1/8" to 1/4" thick, discarding any seeds.
- 3In an ovenproof, nonstick 10" skillet over medium heat, melt unsalted butter with the brown sugar.
- 4Add lemon slices & increase heat to high. Boil & stir for 1 minute.
- 5Remove skillet from heat & arrainge slices in an attractive pattern in the bottom of the skillet.
- 6In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder & salt.
- 7In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the remaining 1/2 cup of butter until light & fluffy.
- 8Add granulated sugar & zest, again beating until light & fluffy (& scraping down the side of the bowl).
- 9Add egg yolks & vanilla & beat just until blended, then reduce speed to low & add flour mixture alternately with the milk, scraping down the side of the bowl after each addition. Beat until just blended.
- 10In a large clean bowl, beat egg whites with clean beaters on medium speed until just foamy, then increase speed to medium-high & add cream of tartar, beating just until egg whites form stiff peaks.
- 11Add 1/4 of the whites to the batter & fold in using a whisk or rubber spatula ~ Continue to gently fold in the whites, 1/4 at a time, being careful not to overmix.
- 12Pour batter over lemon slices & gently smooth the top, then bake 45-50 minutes or until top is golden brown & a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 13Let cool in the pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- 14Loosen edge of cake with a rubber spatula all around, then invert it onto a serving platter, leaving the pan over the cake for 5 minutes.
- 15Remove pan & serve cake warm, cut into wedges.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Upside-Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (122 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 394.8
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 94.3 mg
- Sodium 194.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 32.2 g
- Protein 4.8 g