Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from the April 2008 Bon Appetit. The cupcakes were haunting me on the front cover and I had to make them. They turned out light and fluffy and great!
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 12 teaspoons seedless raspberry jam
- 1 tablespoon seedless raspberry jam
- 12 fresh raspberries, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, and 3 teaspoons lemon peel in large bowl until blended, then beat until fluffy and pale yellow.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating to blend after each addition.
- Beat in half of flour.
- Add buttermilk and 2 tablespoons lemon juice, beating to blend.
- Beat in remaining flour.
- Drop 1 rounded tablespoonful of batterinto each muffin liner.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon raspberry jame over.
- Cover with remaining batter, dividing equally.
- Bake cupcakes until tester inserted halfway into centers comes out clean, about 23 minutes.
- Cool cupcakes in pan on rack.
- Meanwhile, for the icing, whisk remaining 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon peel in small bowl.
- Spoon half of icing over 6 cupcakes.
- Whisk 1 tablespoon raspberry jam into remaining icing and spoon over remaining cupcakes.
- Let stand until icing sets, about 30 minutes.
- Garnish with raspberries.