Now fully immersed in the delights available on this site, I rarely buy cookbooks for baking anymore. A recent trip to a gem of a cookbook shop located in the Village, I stumbled on this little chubby book with the most unusual cookie recipes. This one stuck me immediately and alone may be worth the price. Saving this for my holiday trays but may just break down and make them sooner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup sweet butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated or chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter at medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- 2Add the confectioners sugar and lemon peel,continuing to beat until combined.
- 3Beat in the egg and lemon extract.
- 4Beat in as much of the flour as you can using your mixer. When no longer able, use a large wooden spoon to mix in the rest by hand.
- 5Divide dough in half and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 30 to 60 minutes.
- 6Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- 7After chilling, take each disk and roll into a 12 inch long log. Snip each log into 24 1/2 inch pieces.
- 8Take each cookie nugget and roll into an 8 inch long rope. Form a pretzel shape by bringing the piece together to form a circle with about a 1 inch tails on either side. Take each of the ends and cross it over the circle and attach to the opposite side. Press lightly to seal.
- 9Place the "pretzels" 2 inches apart on baking sheets lightly treated with cooking spray. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown. remove from pan and let cookies cool on a rack.
- 10To prepare the glaze, mix together the confectioners sugar, lemon juice and enough water to achieve a glaze consistency. Brush each cookie with the glaze. While the glaze is still wet, sprinkle chopped nuts on top.
- 11Let stand until glaze has set.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Pistachio Pretzel Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (17 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 75.2
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 12.0 mg
- Sodium 2.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 0.8 g