Recipe by Pokey in San Antonio, TX
This is a very easy recipe that produces spectacular results. The citrus juice tenderizes and the lemon flavor, combined with the mesquite is to die for. This works with any cut of chicken--breasts to wings. Prep time does not include time to marinate.
- 3 lbs chicken
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons black pepper (coarse ground)
- 1 tablespoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and pat dry chicken pieces, and place in plastic bag.
- Pour lemon juice and olive oil over chicken, seal, and marinate for 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Remove from bag, discard marinate, and sprinkle liberal amounts of coarse ground black pepper and salt.
- Cook chicken on grill, using indirect heating method, or a smoker using charcoal briquettes and mesquite chunks. Whole chicken breasts will take about an hour (in a Webber). Smaller pieces will take less time.
- When done, serve immediately.