Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the cookbook, "Family Food for the Heart", which was published by the National Heart Foundation of NZ. I found this a tasty and simple way to include a healthy seafood in our diet. This mixture is a suitable filling for Filo pastry parcels, jacket potatoes, or pile onto pasta, rice, pancakes or pita bread. I usually put it into Filo parcels
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 carrot, large and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour, plain
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 375 g mussels, cooked, marinated, drained and roughly chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- black pepper, freshly ground
- Melt the margarine in a saucepan, saute the carrots until tender.
- Stir in the flour. Gradually add the chicken stock, lemon juice and brown sugar.
- Heat gently, stirring continuously for 3 - 4 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the mussels and spring onions.
- Season with pepper.
- Use as required.