Recipe by chia
adapted from cooking light
Top Review by Aunt Cookie
I liked this salad quite a bit. It's great for my bag lunch, because it tastes very good at room temp. I stuck pretty closely to the recipe, adding some shredded zucchini for added color. I really enjoyed the saltiness of the capers and the olives with the slight sourness of the lemon juice. Next time I'll probably add even more mint to the salad. I'll be making this again, I'm sure. Thanks!
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped of fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt and water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in barley; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Spoon barley into a large bowl; cool slightly. Add mint, tomato, green onions, capers, and olives; stir well to combine. Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons lemon juice,red pepper and oil, stirring well with a whisk. Drizzle over barley mixture; toss gently to coat.